With the NFL season at the midway point, it is time to analyze some of the good, bad and ugly from the first half of the season … from a fantasy football perspective, of course.
Most of the guys in the “F” class have been hampered by injury, so the grade may not be entirely fair. But I am a tough grader, so deal with it.
One guy not on this report card — Brandon Jacobs — has not been evaluated because he missed a few weeks with injury, but now healthy is doing well at runningback. However, with the overall emphasis on the production during the first half of the season, it is hard to give him a grade.
Where would you rank Brandon Jacobs on this list? Also, did I miss any rookies you think should be making the grade?
Let me know in the comments section.
A+ (The front of the class):
- Tom Brady, QB, Patriots: 2,400+ yards, 30 passing touchdowns and two rushing touchdowns … no more needs to be said about the kind of year Brady is having. Brady may have his sights set on Peyton Manning’s single-season touchdown record of 49.
- LaDainian Tomlinson, RB, Chargers: Tomlinson, again, is the top of the class at runningback. The guy gets it done, year-in and year-out. It may be impossible to find a more consistent fantasy player over the last five seasons.
- Randy Moss, WR, Patriots: Moss is having a superb season, one that may surpass anything and everything he ever did in Minnesota.
- Antonio Gates, TE: Chargers: All Patriots and Chargers in the front of the class, and that includes Gates. He continues to be the best fantasy tight end in the NFL, although he is being challenged for the top spot this season.
A (Pretty darn good):
- QBs: Tony Romo, Cowboys; Derek Anderson, Browns; Peyton Manning, Colts
- RBs: Ronnie Brown, Dolphins; Adrian Peterson, Vikings; Brian Westbrook, Eagles; Joseph Addai, Colts
- WRs: Braylon Edwards, Browns; TJ Houshmandzadeh, Bengals; Plaxico Burress, Giants
- TEs: Jason Witten, Cowboys; Dallas Clark, Colts; Kellen Winslow, Browns; Tony Gonzalez, Chiefs
B (Better than average):
- QBs: Carson Palmer, Bengals; Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers
- RBs: Willis McGahee, Ravens; Marion Barber III, Cowboys; Edgerrin James, Cardinals; Willie Parker, Steelers; Marshawn Lynch, Bills
- WRs: Wes Welker, Patriots; Reggie Wayne, Colts; Chad Johnson, Bengals; Steve Smith, Panthers; Terrell Owens, Cowboys
- TEs: Heath Miller, Steelers; Chris Cooley, Redskins; Benjamin Watson, Patriots
C (Run of the mill):
- QBs: Eli Manning, Giants; Matt Hasselbeck, Seahawks; Brett Favre, Packers; Jeff Garcia, Buccaneers; Donovan McNabb, Eagles
- RBs: LaMont Jordan, Raiders; Clinton Portis, Redskins; Maurice Jones-Drew, Jaguars; LenDale White, Titans; Larry Johnson, Chiefs; Derrick Ward, Giants; Reggie Bush, Saints; Kenny Watson, Bengals
- WRs: Kevin Curtis, Eagles; Torry Holt, Rams; Laveranues Coles, Jets; Joey Galloway, Buccaneers
- TEs: Jeremy Shockey, Giants; Desmond Clark, Bears; Owen Daniels, Texans
D (Falling well short of expectation):
- QBs: Phillip Rivers, Chargers; Jon Kitna, Lions; Drew Brees, Saints
- RBs: Frank Gore, 49ers; Travis Henry, Broncos; Thomas Jones, Jets; Cedric Benson, Bears; Shaun Alexander, Seahawks;
- WRs: Roy Williams, Lions; Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals; Anquan Boldin, Cardinals; Marques Colston, Saints
- TEs: Eric Johnson, Saints; Randy McMichael, Rams
F (The “ouch” class):
- QBs: Marc Bulger, Rams; Jay Cutler, Broncos; Jake Delhomme, Panthers; Matt Leinart, Cardinals
- RBs: Steven Jackson, Rams; Laurence Maroney, Patriots; Warrick Dunn, Falcons; Ahman Green, Texans; Rudi Johnson, Bengals
- WRs: Donald Driver, Packers; Hines Ward, Steelers; Andre Johnson, Texans; Deion Branch, Seahawks; Lee Evans, Bills
- TEs: Vernon Davis, 49ers; Todd Heap, Ravens; Alge Crumpler, Falcons
Rookies making the grade:
- Adrian Peterson, Vikings
- Marshawn Lynch, Bills
- Dwayne Bowe, Chiefs
- Earnest Graham, Buccaneers
- Greg Olsen, Bears
- Calvin Johnson, Lions
Filed under: Fantasy Football, Fantasy Rankings, Fantasy Sports, Football, NFL, Quarterbacks, Runningbacks, Sports, Tight ends, Wide receivers | Tagged: Antonio Gates, LaDainian Tomlinson, Randy Moss, Tom Brady |